Search Purse Pattern News

Friday, July 19, 2013

Hiking the Annie Louise Wilkerson MD Nature Preserve

I just recently visited the Annie Louise Wilkerson MD Nature Preserve in Raleigh, NC and really like the way this park has been maintained!  It has several trails including a forest loop, a meadow walk that leads to a farm pond, and another trail that has large rocks beside the path.

The land for this park was left by Dr. Annie Wilkerson and has a total of 157 acres in North Raleigh off Raven Ridge Road. 

When it first opened, I checked out all the trails and my personal favorite was through the forest, down the meadow, past the farm pond, and then heading for the rock outcropping.  There seemed to be a problem within the first year with fire ants and, at one point through the meadow, I got bites on my feet and ankles (I had on shoes and socks!).

This park is very family friendly with programs for children, including backpacks for them to take on their hike with binoculars, a magnifying glass, compass, etc.

Another trail has been added to the forest loop which takes you to Falls Lake.

Rock Formation in Annie Louise Wilkerson MD Nature Preserve


I took my Day Hiker Bag, along with my favorite snack of Orchard Blend by Earth's Pride (available at BJ's).  I just sealed about 1 ounce of mix in a sandwich bag and then placed it in the sandwich/snack bag.  Of course I also brought my water and just hiked around for about 1 hour - what a great way to de-stress but be sure to bring your insect repellant!

No comments: